11/25/25 - Masha3er

Right now I'm walking laps around the indoor track at work listening to the Egyptian singer Sherine. She had a song that has become associated with the Palestinian Liberation Movement. What I'm sure some of you might know about the Spanish language is that it is greatly influenced by Levantine and Maghreb Islamic culture alike. This is mostly a result of the Moroccan Al-Andalus imperial rule over Spain, I won't waste time over the history. But if you listen to Spanish, in the Americas and in Spain, you will hear a similar pace and tonality in its spoken word to that found in Arabic dialects. What I think flies under the radar is how similar Latin music, both their more traditional/folk stuff like Norte as well as their Jazz and dance music and beyond, shares a lot of DNA with Arabic world musical styles. I'm listening to Sherine's live performance of Ana Alby Eleik Mayyal. I'm always hearing the same flavor of vocal runs here as I hear in Norte.

In Arabic world music, in a manner similar to vocal raags in Desi music, there is a measure where people learn to move their voices between notes with more fluidity than is typically of what we hear in the western musical canon. 

I became aware of Sherine's discography through my communications with Remas, my favorite penpal. I shared to her a Stevie Wonder song as an example of music from Detroit. And don't get mad. This was a reasonable response to her telling me she likes Pop music. I wasn't gonna show this lady The White Stripes or Kash Doll as an introduction to Detroit's musical history. Sue me. No, I'll share that next time.
I considered Diana Ross though. Fantasia was a maybe but she does understand English, yknow. I wanted to be careful.

I've been implementing some drum licks and patterns from West and Central Africa in the album, but I might use some rhythms from Egyptian Pop music.

She got me thinking about Warda again. I'm gonna listen to Ale Eih again.

This week I gotta move into the Apartment. I'm gonna buy a new wardrobe. I'm gonna put up my posters and figures. And I'm gonna settle into the only nice thing I've done this month.

I forgot to finish this one.
I made my friend really upset bc I fell asleep while she was calling me. Now in my defense it was past 11PM and I worked 12-9 but whatever. We're past it now. I feel like sometimes I don't get to make mistakes. It's hard to shake the feeling I need to flagellate myself for every single thing I do when I have people in my life who literally actually do that. But let's stay positive, let's keep it musical...
I'll see you guys soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/7/25 - 1800

11/24/25 - Rêve

1/2/26 - I Have A Woman Inside My Soul