7/31/26 - Dig A Pony

Work is steadily progressing on the next album.

I'm unsure of what to call it. My sister gifted me a 45 of Pin-Ups from Bowie, and unfortunately I've found myself in the same visual headspace I was trying to get away from. I guess my mind likes what it likes.

I want this album to smell a little bit. It should have a sort of post-coital glow. After finishing ACT 1 of Galahad, my mind now has the creative headroom necessary to continue work on the songs. I thought it would be difficult and strenuous, but I was able to fix the issues I was having with Ableton, right? I actually upgraded to Live 12 standard, so I shouldn't be as inhibited anymore.

The rule of this album is to use no more than 5 layers. The reason why is because I want a cleaner mix, less muddy. I don't want to rely on lush complications to hide any sort of flaws. I've been listening to too much of the Naked mixes of the last Beatles album, Let It Be. 

I was particularly intrigued by George's voice on I Me Mine. I feel like the very soft element of his voice is something I admire, and think I can build upon that inspiration.

The real background inspiration for this album is folk music. It isn't necessarily a folk album, really, but it is a very "vocal" album. Not thinking about lo-fi trip hop texturing as much here, I want to distill my sound into a more natural, simple sort of thing on this one. I recorded vocals first this time, and I'm shaping the tracks around the vocals, instead of the other way around.

I didn't care as much about formalism when writing these ones, and I decided to embrace the slightly lullaby-esque timbre of my singing voice. I realize I don't have the high-flying kind of voice, right, but I have something that can be resonant and intimate. I'm working to my strengths while still putting myself out there.

I gotta develop these negatives for the promo. I'm thinking of the title "Life in Pictures" or maybe just "In Pictures"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/7/25 - 1800

11/24/25 - Rêve

1/2/26 - I Have A Woman Inside My Soul